Victoria & Cassiano,

I agree that Cassiano's is a sane, sound, and even evolutionary way of looking at entelechy. Peirce too saw that Kant and Bergson were on the right metaphysical track, process and vitalism, not mechanism and predetermination. The resultant 'emergent principle' is thus the seeking of a final and not an efficient cause. Tracing out the history of the principle further would seem a most valuable intellectual enterprise.

Gary

Victoria N. Alexander wrote:

Dear Cassino,

I think that your characterization of Aristotle's (and Pierce's) entelechy as a process is correct. I think an argument can be made that this is true of genuine teleology in general. Teleology seeks, in additional to material causes, evidence for an emergent vital force immanent in the process itself. It seeks internal final causes not external efficient causes. As vitalist Bergson writes in 1907, predetermined teleology, based on a definite end, "implies that things and beings merely realize a programme previously arranged … As in the mechanistic hypothesis, here again it is supposed that all is given. Finalism thus understood is only inverted mechanism."

Kant imagined that limiting principles, inherent in ongoing natural processes themselves, guided events. According to Alicia Juarrero, "Kant's emphasis on recursive causality, wherein the parts are both cause and effect, precludes the existence of a preexisting whole" (113). And as Ernst Cassirer explains, the Kantian whole is "contained in them [the parts] as a guiding principle." In Kant telos is emergent, given in the interactions between parts and the whole.

Victoria

Victoria N. Alexander, Ph.D.
Dactyl Foundation for the Arts & Humanities
64 Grand Street
New York, NY 10013
212 219 2344
www.dactyl.org

Support the arts! Copy and paste the link below to donate to Dactyl Foundation using PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/ business=art%40dactyl.org&item_name=Member+%2420+Friend+%24100+Patron+%2 4500+Benefactor+%241000&item_number=Various+Levels&no_note=1&tax=0&curre ncy_code=USD