Jerry, thanks for your comments,

Sorry for my rather slow reply, but family and some university-political obligations have taken quite a lot of time the last few days.

In any case, I can see I'll have my work cut out to be brief in replying to your notes, since brief though they may be, they are also fairly "dense" in "content". terms, at least if I try to read between the lines..

Hope to find time over the next few days to respond in some more detail to other list members comments too (and thanks to all involved for those)

You wrote:

My take on the distinctions between Peirce and Whitehead is rather different.

In early Peirce (1868), the analogy with distance functions and branching was the given basis for distinguishing paths of logic, relation to chemical valence and the more general concept of extension. The later writings of Peirce describing "division" of a sign in natural language is not a crisp way of looking at the concept of extension. (One might substitute for the term "division" such terms as partition, trichotomy, lattice, subtraction, incomplete parts, lack of additivity, and so forth; but I do not see how that would create a coherent concept of relational extension.)

Well, first off, I personally think it is very important that "early" and "late" Peirce's are seen as part and parcel of one and the same philosophical project, that developed (emerged) over a considerable time period, but always with the key notion of synechism ("the tendency to regard everything as continuous") at its base. Kelley Parker's work on Peirce's continuity is a useful point of reference here.

I know there are many and varying opinions on this, but I have always tended to sympathise / empathise most with readings like those of Murray Murphey who argues in his "The Development of Peirce's Thought" for a kind of continuous, recursive, trial-and-error oriented development by Peirce of his philosophical "architectonic". He pushes the envelope of his basic project all the time, changing a bit here and there in order to integrate new ideas and currents from then contemporary scientific and philosophical debate and knowledge, allowing it to grow and develop continuously, while at the same time always keeping a firm hand on his triadic, synechistic and other keystones...

This type of reading argues for a process-oriented "experimental" philosophical approach on Peirce's part, a methodology/ way of working that he embarked upon right from his very first readings of Kant at aboout 15 and which he carried on with right up to the development of his more articulated cosmological model that incorporates the notion of a "developmental" teleology, where the combination of tychastic, anacastic and agapastic modes of evolutionary process is the ground for the "growth of concrete reasonableness" (In this connection Carl R. Hausman's work on Peirce's evolutionary philosophy is still a good read) in the last ten or so years of his life.

Of course, this latter part of his life's work depended a lot on his readings of and reflections on the evolutionary theories of Darwin, Lamarck and others, and of course could not have been developed by him on this particular basis before these works actually became available. But it is also interesting to note how easily he is able to mesh them in, avoiding, too the trap of reducing of D's extremely complex notion of natural selection to a simplistic instrumental conception like the "survival of the fittest" (which is generally attributed to Herbert Spencer and not to Darwin himself, though he did apparently incorporate it in the title of one of his later editions of "The Origin of the Species")...

When you write that "The later writings of Peirce describing "division" of a sign in natural language is not a crisp way of looking at the concept of extension", I think I'll have to ask you for a bit more detailed explanation of what you mean by that...

In late Whitehead, Process and Reality, he gets into bed with set theory and never re-emerges from this highly restrictive view of extension. In modern chemistry, a multitude of possibilities for extension exist . (The flow of passions in a bed are great, but they should not be conflated with the light of reason. :-)

Regarding "early" and "late" with regard to Whitehead, the same considerations as above regarding the recursive, stepwise development of Peirce's architectonic, I think also holds for Whitehead. From the beginning he was a mathematician (and education theorist) more than a philosopher (and in fact, like Peirce, he never "formally" studied philosophy apart from his own personal readings of other philosophers' work), but process and reality is built round ideas developed in his many other philosophical writings, such as "Adventures of Ideas", "Science and the Modern World" -- in my opinion a good starting point for people who don't know Whitehead, and who want to get a grasp on the main rationale behind the "philosophy of organism" that is much more fully fleshed out in "Process and Reality".

Apropos the flow of passions, in bed or otherwise. it's interesting to read Whitehead precisely because of his particular discursive style, which has often been compared to that of Plato.

His discussions of the notions of subjective and objective ideas/forms (or "eternal objects", in W's terms) offer an interesting "animation" of the "traditional" Plationic forms which meshes quite well with Peirce's notion of matter as "effete mind", and his claim that "The evolutionary process is [Š] not a mere evolution of the existing universe, but rather a process by which the very Platonic forms themselves have become, or are becoming developed" (CP 6.194)

As I see it, rather than "getting into bed with set theory" and never re-emerging, I'd say that W creatively tries to develop and qualify in a quite precise and systematic way, and by means of a particularly dynamic conception of relational topological geometry, his argument that there exists a latent potential for continuity and creative growth in the cosmos that allows for continuous transmssion of what he refers to as objective and subjective "feeling" between actual occasions/ events/ entities in nature, also those not immediately temporally or spatially present.

Put in layman's terms, the idea is that both "objective" and "subjective" aspects of the real that have participated in the emergence any given configuration of past events will always have a "real" potential for participating in the emergence of occasions/ events/ entities in the present, which will in turn have a "real" potential for participating in the emergence of novel occasions/ events/ entities in the future.

One might say that modern chemistry has in richer view of extension - valence is richer than -1,2,3- and it is richer than set theory by using irregularity as a basis of calculation.

Peirce I think would argue that -1,2,3- would be just fine for the potential development of any number of more complex relations you may like to mention. -1,2- would be too simple, too restrictive, and -1,2,3,4- would be unnecessarily redundant...

Also, the propensity of process philosophers to neglect the concept of inheritance of properties in time restricts the potential correspondence between process philosophy and scientific philosophy.

A modern philosophy of chemistry must cope with numbers of relations grater than three and also recognize that islands of stability exist within the torrential seas of change.

I think notions such as continuity and unlimited semiosis, growth of concrete reasonablness in Peirce, and others such as extensive connection, prehension, concrescence/satisfaction in Whitehead offer a set of useful metaphorical/ conceptual tools that we may (if we choose) "play with" and try to use creatively to envision and systematically describe/ try to understand better some of the underlying, contingent processes that form a basis for physical phenmomena such as the inheritence of properties in time,.

A quote from Whitehead here (PAR: 219): "The philosophy of organism is a cell-theory of actuality [...] the cell is exhibited as appropriating for the foundation of its own existence, the various elements of the universe out of which it arises. Each process of appropriation of a particular element is termed a prehension."

Another (from "Science and the Modern World": 79) "The concrete enduring organisms are organisms, so that the plan of the whole influences the very characters of the various subordinate organisms which enter into it. [...] The electron blindly runs either within or without the body; but it runs withing the body in accordance with its character within the body; that is to say, in accordance with the general plan of the body, and this plan includes the mental state."

I find both P and W stimulating to read and especially if we try to see constructive interconnections between them, since their respective ways of thinking both in their own ways urge us to conceive of/ describe physical (and conceptual) relations as essentially processual and as temporally and spatially "continuous" in character, and both are concerned to maintain open lines and a degree of continuity between "material" and "mental" phenomeno.

This allows us, too, to consider at any kind of physical/ material "entity" as inherently transient, but also at the same time as a relatively "stable" occasion/ event in an ongoing creative process that allows for the growth and development of "effete mind"/ concrete rerasonableness... Here I think there is a lot of "cheerful hope" for developing wider, more open and more dynamic understandings of "our own" experiences of reality...

(I repeat my earlier disclaimer - I am neither a philosopher nor mathematician, my background is in biochemistry and genetics - so everyone ought to take my conjectures in these fields that are remote my personal area of concentration with a huge grain of salt.)

BTW, the Whitehead conference includes sessions on Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Several abstracts were quite novel and may be of interest to readers of this listserve.

 see:

http://www2.sbg.ac.at/whiteheadconference/index2.html

I'd echo that too...

Cheers

Jerry LR Chandler

(PS: Patrick, if you know David Lane, please convey my personal greetings to him.)

Haven't seen him for a while now, as hee's on a sabattical, but I'll pass on your regards whan I see him, yes.

Best regards

Patrick

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

Patrick J. Coppock
Researcher: Philosophy and Theory of Language