Jim, Charles, Gary, Joe, Jacob, list,

(Let me note parenthetically that, in my previous post, I used the word "mind" in a number of places where I probably should have used the word "intelligence," given the far-reaching sense which the word "mind" can take on in a Peircean context.)

Jim below says things pretty near to that which I'm saying in terms of the distinction between object and sign, and it seems that the "bad regression" stuff that I've said about his previous stuff no longer applies.

Object and signs are roles. They are logical roles, and their distinction is a logical distinction, not a metaphysical or physical or material or biological or psychological distinction, though it takes on complex psychological relevance insofar as a psyche will be an inference process and will not only develop structures which manifest the distinction, but will also tend consciously to employ the distinction and even thematize it and make a topic (a semiotic object) out of it (like right now).

However, my argument has been that, when one pays sufficient attention to the relationships involved, one sees that a verification is _not_ a representation, in those relationships in which it is a verification, -- just as an object is not a sign in those relationships in which it is an object. Even when a thing-in-its-signhood is the object, the subject matter, then it is _in that respect_ the object and not a sign, though it wouldn't be the object if it were not a sign (and indeed every object is a sign in some set of relationships). These logical distinctions don't wash away so easily.

Meaning is formed into the interpretant. Validity, soundness, etc., are formed into the recognition.

Meaning is conveyed and developed through "chains" and structures of interpretants. Validity, soundness, legitimacy, is conveyed and developed through "chains" and structures of recognitions.

One even has some slack in "making" the distinction between interpretant and verification -- it's a slack which one needs in order to learn about the distinction so as to incorporate those learnings into oneself as a semiosic sytem and so as to employ the distinction in a non-reckless but also non-complacent manner.

(For everything -- (a) boldness, (b) confident behavior, (c) caution, (d) resignation --
there is a season -- (a) bravery, (b) duely confident behavior, (c) prudence, (d) "realism" --
& an out-of-season -- (a) rashness, (b) complacency, (c) cowardice, (d) defeatism.)

In a sense the distinction (interpretant vs. verification) which I'm discussing is an aspect of the ancient one traceable between

meaning, value, good, end (telos), actualization, affectivity

and

factuality, validity, soundness, true, entelechy, reality,  establishment, cognition.

To make it four-way:

1. object ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. interpretant
2. sign ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. recognition, verification

1. strength, dynamism ~ ~ ~ 3. vibrancy, value, good
2. suitability, richness ~ ~ ~ 4. firmness, soundness, truth etc.

1. will & character ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. affectivity & sensibility
2. ability & competence ~ ~ 4. cognition & intelligence

1. agency ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. act, actualization
2. bearer ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. borne, supported

1. beginning, leading, arche ~ ~ 3. end, telos, culmination
2. middle, means ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. check, entelechy

1. multi-objective optimization process ~ ~ 3. cybernetic process
2. stochastic process ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. inference process

1. forces ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. life
2. matter ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. intelligent life

Best, Ben