>>A contemptuous comment.
>>

>R, this is not the first time you have taken my rejection of your
>pet theory as a personal attack. In the world of scholarship, it is
>normal for people to disagree sharply about fundamentals, and even
>to think the ideas and reserach programs of others as fundamentally
>misguided, without taking it personally. What do you think about my
>Hayekianism? No doubt that I have my head screwed on backwards. I
>don't take it personally as long as you press serious objections.

I press serious objections and you respond by calling me a believer
and flag waver instead of facing up to the fact that you have not
provided compelling reasons for your very harsh negative judgement of
value theory.
I don't read your comments as a personal attack but as evidence of
frustration on your part.
What you thought was settled is in fact not.

>>You're not persuading us not because we are true believers but
>>because your reasons (redundancy, transformation problem) are not as
>>strong as you think they are.
>
>Perhaps not. My fundamental objection is that the program isn't
>going anywhere. I think it's a waste of time.

Justin, which alternative is going somewhere?

>   But I also think that a lot of people--maybe you--are attached to
>it not because it's so explanatiorly powerful, but because, as Doug
>says, it's a sort of a pledge of allegience to the red flag.

This is indeed a contemptous response since I have taken the time to
say what advantages in terms of clarity (Marx's transformation
procedure is easier for the working class to follow than Sraffa's
simultaneous equations with a standard commodity as the numeraire)
and realism (even if we don't need genes and labor value to
calculate, we include them in the interests of better grasping the
actual process which is not that of inputs turning themselves into
outputs) and scope (ability to integrate money) are gained by Marx's
value theory while the objections  (redundancy, transformation
problem) are not compelling. You are in fact most often saying that
value is not needed--which is a claim that does not really justify
your harsh judgement. To be consistent you should be making the
charges of metaphysics and illogic. If you want we can deal with
joint production and negative values in following up on moral
depreciation.

rb