G'day Max,

> I'm not an expert, but I would summarize Smith's theory as the
> good social effect resulting from narrow, self-seeking activity.
> I defy anyone to find support for that among the old populists
> or in Nader's movement.

I agree with the thrust of this, Max.  You have to be pretty pure and
very lonely to be a proper lefty by some lights.  But, I'd argue that
Smith reckoned the good social effects would only come if the
self-seeking business fraternity were very closely watched by state
agencies, else they'd nefariously combine towards bad social effects.  I
have heard such sentiments from Nader in the past.  Now he's saying the
state agencies are nefariously combining with the self-seeking
businessmen, isn't he?  That pretty well matches Jim Devine's recent
musings on the state, as I recall.  And Jim's plenty left for me.

Cheers,
Rob.