----- Original Message -----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> this is the standard way that the US imperialists see it: the US
provides
> "international public goods" from which the other countries -- including
the
> totally dominated ones -- benefit. The countries that don't go along
(e.g.,
> deGaulle's France, Schroeder's Germany) are "free riders." As in the
usual
> public goods story, if the state (read: the US) doesn't get some payment
> from the beneficiaries (the other countries), the public good is not
just
> under-produced but can go away altogether. So coercion (taxes) are
> justified.
> Jim

Hence the current obsession by US weapons makers securing comparative
advantage via "interoperability" "harmonization" on weapons systems
procured by NATO countries. In the absence of the ability of the US to tax
other states "we" demand that they make budget commitments, like Lithuania
buying $34 million worth of Stingers that they don't need.

Ian