Porter, Theodore M. 2001. "Economics and the History of Measurement" in
Judy L. Klein and Mary S. Morgan, eds. The Age of Economic Measurement
(Durham and London: Duke University Press): pp. 4-22.   9: In contrast
astrology developed what was considered to be very important information.
"Astrology was the most important site of quantitative precision through
the sixteenth century. Astrological reasons, rather than merely
astronomical ones, provided the principal incentive for applying
measurement and calculation to the heavens. While it never worked
perfectly, astrology was a disciplined strategy of prognostication,
requiring meticulous calculation and supported by distinguished
authorities.  Measurement was not required here by the needs of pure
science, but by practical demands."

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department