This is a difficult question.  The global justice movement has, in
general, been willing to align itself with old-fashioned protectionist
interests in the US.  They have more money than we do and more access to
media and politicians.  Activists recognize that the interests involved
are fundamentally opposed, but they have taken this route anyway.  We
saw this around NAFTA, China/WTO, etc.  I have been arguing (to those
who will listen to my harangue) that this strategy is a mistake.  The
political costs outweigh the benefits, IMO.  We alienate "soft"
supporters of justice-oriented initiatives who are worried about
protectionism; they think that, if liberalization is defeated, the most
reactionary business interests will be the ones who pick up the pieces.
My view is that every alliance risks a corresponding alienation.  You
have to decide who you want to reach out to, and who you are willing to
write off.  As a political matter, I would rather extend myself to
hesitant left-liberals than cozy up to a North Carolina textile baron.
(And I am very willing to piss off liberals in other contexts...)

Peter

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

June 11, 2003

After Winning the War
The Empire Expands Wider and Still Wider
By ERIC HOBSBAWM

<snip>

But the global empire of Britain, the first industrial nation,
worked with the grain of the globalisation that the development of
the British economy did so much to advance. The British empire was a
system of international trade in which, as industry developed in
Britain, it essentially rested on the export of manufactures to less
developed countries. In return, Britain became the major market for
the world's primary products (2). After it ceased to be the workshop
of the world, it became the centre of the globe's financial system.

Not so the US economy. That rested on the protection of native
industries, in a potentially gigantic market, against outside
competition, and this remains a powerful element in US politics.
When US industry became globally dominant, free trade suited it as
it had suited the British. But one of the weaknesses of the 21st
century US empire is that in the industrialised world of today the
US economy is no longer as dominant as it was (3). What the US
imports in vast quantities are manufactures from the rest of the
world, and against this the reaction of both business interests and
voters remains protectionist. There is a contradiction between the
ideology of a world dominated by US-controlled free trade, and the
political interests of important elements inside the US who find
themselves weakened by it.

What should US leftists do about this contradiction -- the
contradiction that has been ignored by the US branch of the so-called
"global justice movement"?
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: