This is a difficult question.  The global justice movement has, in
general, been willing to align itself with old-fashioned
protectionist interests in the US.  They have more money than we do
and more access to media and politicians.  Activists recognize that
the interests involved are fundamentally opposed, but they have
taken this route anyway.  We saw this around NAFTA, China/WTO, etc.
I have been arguing (to those who will listen to my harangue) that
this strategy is a mistake.  The political costs outweigh the
benefits, IMO.  We alienate "soft" supporters of justice-oriented
initiatives who are worried about protectionism; they think that, if
liberalization is defeated, the most reactionary business interests
will be the ones who pick up the pieces. My view is that every
alliance risks a corresponding alienation.  You have to decide who
you want to reach out to, and who you are willing to write off.  As
a political matter, I would rather extend myself to hesitant
left-liberals than cozy up to a North Carolina textile baron. (And I
am very willing to piss off liberals in other contexts...)

Peter

One of the "action priorities" that came out of the United for Peace and Justice conference in Chicago (June 6-8, 2003) is as follows:

***** UFPJ Action Priorities....

2) Campaign to Unite the Peace and Global Justice Movement

This campaign calls on UFPJ to initiate a comprehensive grassroots
educational campaign that makes the links between military and
economic empire-building by confronting corporate globalization, the
global economic agenda of the ruling elite. The campaign includes
coordinated days of action during the Sept. 10-13 WTO meeting in
Cancun, including a commemoration of 9/11 and a Global Day of Action
Against Mobilization and War on Sept. 13. The campaign also calls for
UFPJ to mobilize for the Nov. 19-21 FTAA meeting in Miami and the
Nov. 22-23 School of the Americas protest.

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=1755> *****

Suppose, for the sake of discussion, that you are either on the UFPJ
steering committee or advising them, helping UFPJ develop a campaign
out of the above action priority.  What actions, demands, and talking
points would you recommend with regard to the Sept. 10-13 WTO meeting
in Cancun and the Nov. 19-21 FTAA meeting in Miami?
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,