There are at least two distinct senses of the term
"methodological individualism":

(1) All social phenomena can be explained in terms of
individual persons and their states without reference
to social facts or states (the nonreductive sense),
and

(2) All social phenomena can be explained _only_ in
terms of individual persons and their states without
reference to social facts or states (the reductive
sense), i.e., there are no explanatory social facts or
properties.

The first view is probabaly false and probaly
incoherent because the mental states of individuals
are social states at least in part. But it's a
harmless view if it is taken to say there is also
social analysis. The second view is not only false and
meaningless, but pernicious, and incompatible with
historical materialism.

I wrote a paper on this a decade ago, Metaphysical
Individualism and Functional Explanation, Phil Science
(1993).

jks