over the years, I've discovered that I have a hard time getting mad at someone because
of their political opinions. If someone is a Malthusian (say), I tend to pity them for
not thinking clearly. But when someone misinterprets what I say -- especially when I
write it down in clear prose that I edit and re-edit (and I even spell-check) -- it
somehow rubs one of my neuroses the wrong way. And then the critic makes many of the
points I did!

BTW, bringing up GT and Nash using a comic novel does not inherently imply a critique
of either. Comic novels can be just as profound as tragic ones. I've seen the
house-of-mirrors analogy in GT books.

While we're on the subject, I think it's worth discussing the role of Nash's madness
(paranoid schizophrenia and, according to a shrink I know, Asperger's Syndrome). One
of the hats I wear is as the father of a kid with mental problems (Asperger's
Syndrome, ADD, maybe bipolar (manic-depressive), maybe psychosis (not otherwise
specified)). One of the things that comes out in the millieu that this role has thrust
me into is that _being crazy ain't all bad and can actually be a good thing_ in some
situations.

Some of the most brilliant people in the world have been stark raving nuts. Einstein
(maybe Asperger's Syndrome, though those with other disorders also claim him) was
hardly a "normal" person. One's madness can give one insights that so-called "normal"
people (neurotypicals) are _totally incapable_ of achieving. People who live
well-adjusted lives in conjunction with others and have no inner turmoil have a hard
time "thinking outside the box" the way Einstein or Nash did. Einstein's Gedanken
(sp?) experiments and Nash's brilliant insight come from non-neurotypical thinking.

I do think that Nash's equilibrium concept was brilliant. However, the concept has
been reified, worshiped and worse. It's the reification that's the problem. That
reflects a deeper problem, the corruption of the social sciences. But I said this
before.

Jim Devine