--- sartesian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> You gave a better answer when you earlier when you
> said you didn't know.
> Assuming want Kashmiris want or don't want is
> exactly not the issue.  The
> issue is the material determinants of the struggle,
> the history of the
> conflict in the area and what the resolution
> requires.

True. And I don't know the issue very well. But what I
see going on is Pakistan (or elements within Pakistan)
and the international mujahedin trying to worsen --
and prolong -- an already bad situation. (They seem to
like to do this kind of thing a lot.)

I don't know about India, but in this part of the
world, "national determination movements" are usually
actually a small minority of crazed nationalists being
manipulated by cynical politicians. The USSR
national-determination-movemented itself out of
existence 13 years ago, and everybody is worse off. So
I am quite skeptical in general.