There are so many things wrong with NC that it is pathetic. My favorite 
summary, which I think I mentioned before, is Lee and Keen, "The Incoherent 
Emperor," Review of Social Economy, June 2004.

What I did in my article was different. I took the NCs at their word, as it 
were, making all the simplifying assumptions they like to do. (I even have a 
systematic list of them in most of my articles you can see on line.) Then I 
showed that even under those circumstances they cannot prove that 
profit-seeking firms are more efficient than any other kind of organization.

>I disagree with the idea that profit-seeking firms are efficient. It
>doesn't even make sense in NC terms, unless by NC we mean only the
>"Chicago" school. Profit-seeking companies have an incentive to dump
>costs on others (externalize internal costs, pollute) and to capture
>external benefits. A narrow-minded worker co-op (that acts like a
>fraternity of a craft union -- or in jargon, is economistic) has a
>similar problem.
>
>On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Gassler Robert <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The best I can do is two paragraphs:
>>
>> Instead of ad hoc assumptions about what the head of the organization 
>> maximizes, I assume utility maximization throughout.  The variables in the 
>> utility function are different for altruistic and selfish entrepreneurs, and 
>> the constraints differ according to whether the organization is a 
>> profit-seeking firm, cooperative, bureau, or nonprofit organization.
>> Profit-seeking firms run by selfish entrepreneurs are efficient in the 
>> purchase of inputs. So are cooperatives, and nonprofit organizations run by 
>> altruistic entrepreneurs. OTOH, profit-seeking firms run by altruists or 
>> entrepreneurs interested in quality are inefficient, as are nonprofit 
>> organizations run by selfish entrepreneurs. This result is what most people 
>> expect, but it gives the lie to the neoclassical view that only 
>> profit-seeking firms are efficient.
>>
>>
>>>Gassler Robert wrote:
>>>> In an almost completely obscure article, I turned neoclassical theory on 
>>>> its head and showed that cooperatives were at least as efficient as 
>>>> profit-seeking firms, nonprofit organizations, and government bureaus.
>>>>
>>>> The reference is: "The Economics of the Nonprofit Motive: A Suggested 
>>>> Formulation of Objectives and Constraints for Firms and Nonprofit 
>>>> Enterprises," Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, Volume 8, Number 4, 
>>>> 1997, pp.265-280.
>>>
>>>the word "Interdisciplinary" is enough to turn the vast majority of
>>>(orthodox) economists off.
>>>
>>>Robert, can you give a two-sentence summary? thanks.
>>>--
>>>Jim Devine / "In an ugly and unhappy world the richest man can
>>>purchase nothing but ugliness and unhappiness." -- George Bernard Shaw
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>pen-l mailing list
>>>[email protected]
>>>https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> pen-l mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>
>
>
>-- 
>Jim Devine / "In an ugly and unhappy world the richest man can
>purchase nothing but ugliness and unhappiness." -- George Bernard Shaw
>_______________________________________________
>pen-l mailing list
>[email protected]
>https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>
>


_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to