By mistake, I sent this before I was finished.

David Shemano wrote:
>> You didn't really answer the question, which is why do you believe there are 
>> different incentives regarding externalities between a profit and a 
>> non-profit when both are engaged in production.<<

Actually I did, but no matter. There is no difference: minimizing
private costs (which is, as my intermediate micro teacher told me in
college, what any organization does) can and often does mean
increasing external costs. However, a not-for-profit organization[*]
is less likely than a profit-seeking one to be _aggressive_ in
corrupting the environmental protection agencies, evading the law, and
especially moving its operations to another country to get away from
government regulations. That’s because not-for-profits are not set up
to be engines of endless accumulation of power (as I said in my
previous message).

>> You assume a greedy person is more likely to ignore externalities than an 
>> altruistic person, and you appear to assume a greedy person is more likely 
>> to work for a profit than a non-profit (and vice-versa for an altruistic 
>> person), which are nice assumptions to make and it is always nice to assume 
>> away the problem, but is that where you want to leave it?  <<

I did NOT assume that "a greedy person is more likely to work for a
profit than a non-profit (and vice-versa for an altruistic person)." I
don't know where that came from. It didn't come from me. Did it come
from channeling the conventional wisdom or Ron Paul?  In fact, what I
said was "We can't automatically assume that the leaders of a
not-for-profit would automatically be altruistic."

Anyway, what does "greedy" mean? The word is thrown around a lot. I
define “greedy” as involving more than standard garden-variety
self-interest.[**] It involves shunning existing laws, codes of
ethics, traditions, etc. (unless it serves self-interest to obey
these), since all that matters is "number one." It's akin to being a
psychopath (except, psychologists tell me, that psychopaths are often
very charming and good at manipulating others).[***] Greediness is
like behavior based on Ayn Rand's philosophy (without the cultiness).

Psychopaths are encouraged by a capitalist society and the corporate
form of organization, often by rewarding them with large incomes and a
lot of power. Like scum, greedy people rise to the top and are
rewarded for being greedy. Non-psychopaths may learn to act like
psychopaths in public to survive (or to help their families). So,
following both selection and conditioning, it’s quite possible that a
greedy person is likely to work for a profit-seeking organization,
especially at the top.

However, it does not follow automatically that those who run
not-for-profits are not greedy. As I mentioned, I know of several
cases where leaders of not-for-profits _are_ greedy. (I put this in a
separate paragraph so that it wouldn't be ignored, the way that my
statement that  "We can't automatically assume that the leaders of a
not-for-profit would automatically be altruistic" was.)

 What does "altruistic" mean? Before, I didn't get into the definition
of altruism (though I should have). According to one web definition it
is "the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to
the welfare of others (opposed to egoism)" or in "behavior by an
animal [or person] that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits
others of its kind, as a warning cry that reveals the location of the
caller to a predator."
(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/altruism)  That definition
seems pretty standard, so I'll use it. (Definitions are only
conventions, after all.)

I don't see many people as being altruistic by that definition (though
individual actions may be altruistic). However, to my mind, being
morally  "good" doesn't involve self-sacrifice to help others.[****]
(An altruist may be a total pain in the ass, by the way, thinking that
he or she knows what’s good for others.)

Instead, being morally good involves seeing one's self-interest as
involving working with and communicating with others in a democratic
and collegial way to help attain common goals. Instead of
“altruistic,” it involves believing in solidarity (and acting on the
basis of its principles) .

If a not-for-profit is working to accomplish its mission (which
requires a good regulatory framework encourages this), then it would
reward those who are “solidaritous” (if I may coin a word) while
training people to be that way. The people who rise to the top would
be those who are best at serving the mission, not those who are
looking out for themselves über alles. Thus, people who work for the
Cancer Society -- especially those at the top -- would be most
interested in helping those with cancer rather than owning minks,
BMWs, Rolexes, etc.

Of course, as I said before (and again above), a democratic regulatory
framework is required to make sure that not-for-profit organizations
don't go astray. This is hard in a society like ours that rewards
greed so much.
-- 
Jim Devine / "In an ugly and unhappy world the richest man can
purchase nothing but ugliness and unhappiness." -- George Bernard Shaw

[*] The more accurate term is "not-for profit" rather than
"non-profit," since not-for-profits sometimes make profits. It's just
that their goals are different (at least on paper).

[**] The Wikipedia's definition of greed as "an excessive desire to
possess wealth, goods, or abstract things of value with the intention
to keep it for one's self. ... " doesn't seem clear enough to me. What
is meant by "excessive"?

[***] I found a mnemonic that summarizes what "psychopath" means C –
cannot follow law; O – obligations ignored; R – remorselessness; R –
recklessness; U – underhandedness; P – planning deficit; T – temper.
As a documentary (called “the Corporation”?) argued awhile back, that
describes a for-profit corporation pretty well.

[****] This refers only to social ethics.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to