Jim Devine writes in response:

"What I said is very standard Keynesian macroeconomics. For example, Mark 
Zandi, a GOP economist and Keynesian, made this point using empirical research. 
Krugman's introductory textbook reports his results. I haven't seen the phrase 
"fiscally inefficient" anywhere, but it makes sense as I define it. Most 
macroeconomists would use more down-to-earth language, saying that tax cuts 
(except for those benefiting lower-income folks) don't deliver as much "bang 
for the buck" as does increases in government purchases."

Presumably, you believe the "standard Keynesian macroeconomic" analysis is a 
correct analysis of how our capitalist economy operates.  Fine.  My question 
was whether you believe it is correct because you find the underlying 
assumptions compelling, and the underlying assumptions lead to necessary 
conclusions, or do you believe it is correct because, based upon hindsight 
empirical evidence, the Keynesian analysis provides the most compelling 
analysis of the data?  You did not answer my question.

I don't have Krugman's textbook, so I don't know what evidence he cites.  (I do 
know Zandi is not a GOP economist, and I also know that Zandi, building 
Keynesian assumptions into his economic model, vastly overprojected the effect 
of the 2009 stimulus, so I don't know how good a source he is).

David Shemano

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to