I know there are problems about measuring cost and
benefits biases in measurement etc.  but my problem is
conceptual.

As I understand it modern economics does not assume
that interpersonal comparisons of utility are possible
just ordinal rankings of individual preferences.

If this is so how does one make the transition to
measurement of cost and benefits in monetary terms
that is the typical mode of analysis in applied cost
benefit analysis? Doesn't the measurement in monetary
units assume there is some interpersonal utility that
is measurable in these units?

Blog:  http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html
Blog:  http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html