ken hanly wrote:
  But my understanding is that utility cannot be
measured except in any but ordinal terms that is by
ranking preferences. If marginal utility can be
represented by dollars then doesn't that imply that
there can be interpersonal comparisons of utility?

What can be compared, in the mainstream view, is the relative marginal
utilities, but not the utility. We both may pay $3.00 per gallon for
gasoline (the marginal value) and I might buy twice as much as you, but
that doesn't tell us anything about how much utility you get nor how
much utility I get from the purchase.

BTW: Sen claims that "interpersonal comparisons of various types can be
fully axiomatized and exactly incorporated in social choice
procedures...." And, although we may not be able to "put everyone's
utilities in an exact one-to-one correspondence with each other..., [i]t
can be shown that there may be no general need for terribly refined
interpersonal comparisons for arriving at definite social decisions....
Interpersonal comparisons need not be confined to 'all-or-none'
dichotomies."