From: Kaede Rokawa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Penguin @ My-Linux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Penguin] Sound & permissions
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:10:16 -0500 (EST)
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Mar 05 19:08:26 2000
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

o-----------ooO--(- Important  Message -)--Ooo------------o
| SAVE BANDWITH, SPACE, TIME & MONEY, REPLY WITH PRUDENCE.|
o----=[ Penguin @ My - Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ]=----o

hi,
 > I've been using linux for quite a while, but my pc fell ill lately and I
 > decided to take off my old copy of linux and put in RedHat 6.1
 > I had everything working fine before, but now I find that my sound
 > doesn't work, and I have to access my modem SUID root which sucks.
 > I have an SB Live! Platinum. I've already recompiled the kernel to
 > support modules and sound (with all the other stuff I want)
 > compiled the driver (emu10k1.o) again, copied it over to
 > /lib/modules/2.2.14/ and removed all references to other soundcards in
 > /etc/conf.modules and /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep and I've added in
 > emu10k1.o
 > soundcore.o is also present.
 > When i rund modprobe, it says it works, but no sound comes out the
 > speakers. When I start up, it says the soudncard has been recognized.
 > When I try "cat" on a soudnfile into /dev/audio it spews up some garbage
 > kinda noise but besides that it doesn't work at all. mixer settings seem
 > to be okay.
 >
 > any ideas?

Emm, seem you a slacky  user before you use this rh 6.1, i guess:).
Because Slackware must compile thing on and on again to probe some
hardware.
For your info, rh since 5.-0/5.1 has use sndconfig to detect your
soundcard and load the proper module for your soundcard automaticly. Just
do in root shell.

root@my> # sndconfig
  and you will be pop up with some interactive menu, answer this  prompt,
and should be ok with your sound card:)

about the modem, i'm not sure you've installed kde window manager or not,
but just for suggestion, use kppp instead of other dialing method in rh
6.1. One more thing , you can use  kppp in user mode, and it will prompt
you for a root password before start using kppp. Its a new features in rh
6.1 . U can add  other program that need a suid 0  that can be used while
in x user mode.Not sure where , but it writen somewhere in the
man/documentation page , so RTFM:)

 > oh yeah. and I've already put my normal user in the ppp group and all
 > other neccessary groups for normal running in /etc/group

Keyboard things. I think  you've use the kbdconfig to configure your
k/board. Actually the uk type is looking fine to me, heh. Maybe something
wroing with your keyboard?. Well just a suggestion, try some other command
for keybard configuration.Here is the list:

loadkeys
showkey
keymaps
dumpkeys
try to use man $command_i_list_above

its about detect your keyboard map manually, heh, quite adventeorous to
me. Ok good luck to you.

 > One last thing. Does anyone remember what the line for a UK keyboard is
 > in XF86Config? I can't seem to get the right one. I've tried "uk" but it
 > doesn't work...
 >
 > thanks
 > YINSERN

p/s Redhat comes with lot of automatically features software, try to read
the docs. should come in handy for you sometimes.

Have a lot of thingking lately,
Kaede R0kawa
11th player of Shohoku
Kanagawa City