chromatic wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 01:37, Smylers wrote:
>
>> chromatic writes:
>
>> > There ought to be a way to capture diagnostic information in the TAP
>> > stream because it's useful for diagnosing problems.
>
>> Does that help with the case where it's an 'ordinary' Perl-generated
>> warning ("Use of uninitialized value" and the like), which runtests is
>> also swallowing at the moment?
>
> They don't have to interfere with the TAP stream unless they call
> Test::Builder->diag(), which was my laborious and heavily sarcastic point.

Seems to me an environment var set by default by TAP::Parser that makes
Test::Builder send diag output in the STDOUT TAP stream (plus a T::B method
to override the env var or lack thereof) would be much much better than
the problems that result from merging STDOUT/STDERR.

I know I've had problems in some past versions of cygwin when merging
stdout/stderr where merging happened at other than line boundaries,
which would really screw things up in terms of identifying what's TAP
and what's diagnostic.