On Wednesday 14 March 2007 09:41, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> > There ought to be a way to capture diagnostic information in the TAP
> > stream because it's useful for diagnosing problems.

> so, to chromatic's point, I can't help but feel like solving the quoted
> issue would go a long way toward reducing the costs in this debate.

I think my point eluded everyone.  Let me be very clear.

MAKE diag() PRINT TO STDOUT NOT STDERR.

Problems solved:

        - synchronization no longer an issue
        - non-escaped output no longer interfering with the TAP stream
        - unrelated output no longer interfering with the TAP stream
        - most test modules are *already* using diag() for diagnostics

Test::Harness::Straps can already identify diagnostic output; it's a simple
matter of programming to print it along with consuming it.

Why is this all so complicated?

-- c