> There ought to be a way to capture diagnostic information in the TAP stream
> because it's useful for diagnosing problems.

I feel like I'm talking to myself when I say this (since I've said this
before) but I'll say it again just, well, because :)

the implicit idea that STDERR generally goes to the screen is simply not
always the case - if you produce your TAP in an environment outside of
the shell (for example, in an httpd server, mail server, across ssh,
whatever) then STDERR is likely the remote environment (error_log,
syslog, etc).  I'm _constantly_ bitten by diag() foo going to someplace
other than my test output in these cases.  the more popular the TAP
stuff people are building becomes, I suspect you'll see a greater
percentage where the whole STDOUT/STDERR isn't at all what is important
- it's TAP output versus platform runtime errors (like perl warnings in
scripts).

so, to chromatic's point, I can't help but feel like solving the quoted
issue would go a long way toward reducing the costs in this debate.

--Geoff