Hi Jacinta,

On 9/15/06, Jacinta Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
G'day everyone,

Who here has their own training facilities?

We don't own facilities either.

Most of our trainings are on-site but even there we bump into trouble
with classrooms. We try to recommend them a setup but in the end
we go with what the client has. Many times it is far from being optimal.

The biggest trouble usually is actually that we are on-site.
Many managers expect their workers to do their daily job
more-or-less even while they are in class. That means many times
students have to read their e-mail and respond to them.
Many times they are even taken out from the class.
Once they are out for 2-3 hours usually they cannot
come back as they cannot follow the class any more.
Once I had a class where we started with 21 ppl and after
5 days we ended with 4. But at least those 4 were satisfied.

When talking about the facilities the things I ask for
is to have enough space so I can get next to each student
to help in the lab work. This is not always possible as sometimes
classrooms are too packed.

Machine specs are not important but we ask for basic software to be installed.
Perl 5.8 + Text Editor students are familiar with. Putty or similar if working
on a remote Unix/Linux machine. + Internet connection.

Unfortunately even this is not always easy. We tell the training manager to
ask the students which OS and which editor do they prefer - after all most of
what I teach is OS independent - but in the end in the classroom I see
many people breaking their fingers with what they have. e.g. Windows-only
people working on Unix with vi....

If we could ensure that people who are only familiar with Windows would be
able to work on Windows and similarly people who are not familiar with vi and
emacs would have at least nedit installed on Unix/Linux.
That would be a huge step in reducing frustration in the class.

When on-site the lunch, coffee and refreshment situation is the same as
they normally have  in the specific client. Sometimes it is very good
but in other cases we just eat too much...

When renting class-rooms we usually give lunch vouchers and serve
coffee and refreshments. This is the 'standard' or 'expected' in the
local training industry.

Gabor

--
Gabor Szabo