"Michael R. Wolf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> that any old notepad/cmd.exe or vi/ksh combination will work.

One problem I once ran into was that the students on Windows got
slightly different results from the students using Linux. Turned out
that the Windows editor they used did not provide a final newline.

Likewise, notepad does not understand files that have only \n as lime
terminators, so students were not able to inspect the data files that
I provided them for the exercises. Nowadays I provide special copies
with CRLF endings.

-- Johan