On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Brian Steele wrote:

> The only problem with this analysis is that, based on the info I'm getting
> on my security lists these days, MORE bugs are being found now with
> open-source software than with MS software.
>
> It's just basic probability in action:
>
>     New versions = more features + greater complexity
>     More features = greater risk of bugs being created.
>     More complex the software = greater risk of bugs being created.
>     More users = greater probability of bugs being discovered
>     More clueless the admin = greater risk of being nailed by a security bug
>     :-)
>
> I agree with you on the other MS points though.  If only they'd put IIS
> together so that someone who was security-ignorant couldn't expose
> themselves in the 'net, LOL - perhaps IIS wouldn't be viewed in the same
> light that it is today.
>
> I certainly DON'T agree with your Apache security statement.  Do a Google
> search on +Apache +exploit +root +access and you'd see what I mean :-).

Software is generally written by humans, therefore software, especially
complex, new software, will always have bugs.

Finding bugs in software is a _good thing_. Not finding bugs in software
is a _bad thing_. Not only having lots of people finding bugs but also
having lots of people trying to fix those bugs is a _very good thing_.

WRT: Do a Google search on +Apache +exploit +root +access and you'd see
what I mean :-).

Then divide the count that you get by the number of different OSes and
platforms involved. More software, more bugs, if you see what I mean.

**** [EMAIL PROTECTED] <Carl Jolley>
**** All opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer ****