Firstly, have you looked into combining CSS with your javascript?
There are plenty of resources on the web that describe how to use the
inline parameter to display and hide content.

You won't be able to run a perl sub after your page has been rendered
unless you run your script again.
One of the most obvious ways is to refresh the page (ie. run the script
again) when the checkbox is pressed.

I haven't done this with a checkbox but I have used a round-about way
of getting a javascript action button to run a Perl sub.
I used a simple javascript action button. With the CGI module I used:

$cgiObject->button(-name=>'nameofbutton',-value=>' Label of
Button',-onClick=>"window.open('nameOfScript?
x=param1&y=param2&z=param3'... )")

A javascript action button is displayed and when clicked opens a new
window and goes to the address specified using the particular params.
One of the params is a flag to indicate a basic function mode for the
script; basically which sub should be run (in the example 'x').

Towards the start of my script I have something like this ($qaz is the
CGI object):

if (defined( $qaz->param('x') )){
        if ($qaz->param('x') eq 'value1'){
                runSub1();
        }
        if ($qaz->param('x') eq 'value2'){
                runSub2();
        }
}

You should be able to do something similar with a checkbox using
onClick. Use the window.location.replace(x) function to reload the
current page.
Of course, 'x' represents the script name with the parameter list. If
you use the same sub to set the content and use the param list to alter
what is set by that sub then code duplication is minimised - you don't
need multiple subs to set up different page content if the 'page'  is
practically the same.

Cheers,
Lachlan.