I use MarcEdit to view records and check if the mnemonic form of a diacritic
(e.g. {eacute}) appears or not and what the LDR/09 value is. That's the best
way I've come up with so far. MarcEdit is pretty good at guessing what the
character encoding is without relying on the LDR/09 value. I think there are
some perl modules you could use that "guess" what the encoding is of a
character but I've never used them. I'm interested in finding out other methods
(preferably automated) for detecting wrong or mixed character encodings in a
MARC record.

Shelley