Hi Warren!

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 08:43:33 +0800
Warren Pang <war...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all very much.
>
> I have tried to search "perl discussion" and it brings me to perl6's list
> page.
> Yes for data analysis we primarily use classic perl5, which is smart enough
> especially the regex matching.
> There are "spark streaming", "flink streaming", "storm streaming", and a
> lot of others, but they don't support perl language well.
> So I expect the community, either perl6 or perl5, can make that a framework.

"Perl 6" is now called Raku and is not compatible with Perl 5.

Regarding "the community" making something - I recall a similar request (or was
it a demand?) on a Perl facebook group that we must have a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course (MOOC) for Perl. As
usual with FOSS, time consuming suggestions can be materialised either by
investing time, or by motivating contributors using money. Otherwise, they
often don't get materialised.

> We can't lose the capability in big data, cloud computing, AI, ML,
> streaming, these are the main features of current internet.

From what I know, not everyone is doing AI (which I was told requires a
relevant M.Sc and has a high barrier to entry) and "machine learning" is not
the only approach to AI:

https://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/faq.html#machine_learning

> Everyone today writes CGI with perl? NO.

Not everyone today writes CGI scripts, or uses Perl for them, but some people
still do. These include me because I prefer to use shared web hosting, where,
for server side scripting, I can use either PHP (which I dislike, see:
https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/php/ ) or CGI scripts (in Perl or
Python or similar). So I still use two such scripts in Perl and one which I
translated from Perl to Python (not because I was unhappy with the Perl code,
but because I've been trying to learn Python better) along with many
generated static pages and assets here:

* https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/site-source/

I was once told that generated static HTML should be avoided because PHP is the
present and the future, but it seems they were proven wrong too:

*
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-tech-diary/blob/master/static-site-generators--despair.md

I'm not saying server-side-scripting is not useful, but generated static sites
are still of utility as well.

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
My Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/

“Stop reinventing wheels, start building space rockets.”
    — The motto of the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network