On 1/30/21 12:11 AM, JJ Merelo wrote:
Hi,
You probably know that GSoC is an annual event where Google provides grants for students to help develop new stuff in open source organizations. https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/ <https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/> We participated a couple of years ago, and got a lot of help for the documentation and other stuff. Last year our application didn't get through, so let's try again this year. We participate under the umbrella of the Perl Foundation, so it's Perl or Raku projects, or any other open source project that's written in any of these languages. in this phase, where we prepare the application, we need project ideas. https://github.com/perl-foundation-outreach/gsoc-2021-ideas <https://github.com/perl-foundation-outreach/gsoc-2021-ideas> Follow the template in the main directory to propose something you'd be comfortable tutoring. Tutoring happens through summer, and it's ideally done by 2-3 people per project so that some can do the summer-y thing while the others help.
What I want from you
- Propose project ideas that can take a student (possibly with no prior idea of Raku) a summer to work on. It can be part of the core, but also modules you're working already with or some you want to work with. - Help as mentors. Mentors get their own T-Shirt and the appreciation from the whole community, and little in the way of monetary emoluments, but the Perl Foundation gets 2500€ (or $, don't remember exactly) per project, so you help not only further the goals of the project you're mentoring, but also the community at large.

I've mentored in a couple of occasions, and it's an overall nice experience, plus you get to help Raku and also maybe yourself with some project you're familiar with. Getting involved is a win-win, for you and the community at large.

Anything else you need to know, please ask.

Cheers

--
JJ

Hi JJ,

Not something I can tutor on, but something I really,
really need fixed: the excessive compile time not
found it Perl 5.

$ ls -al GetUpdates.pl6
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 todd users 356600 Jan 30 01:34 GetUpdates.pl6

$ raku -c --stagestats GetUpdates.pl6
Stage start      :   0.000
Stage parse      :  17.851
Stage syntaxcheck: Syntax OK

Molasses slow

Here is Perl 5

$ ls -al GetUpdates.pl
-rwxrwxrwx. 1 todd users 208173 Apr 26  2019 GetUpdates.pl

$ time perl -c  GetUpdates.pl
GetUpdates.pl syntax OK

real    0m0.305s
user    0m0.243s