On 30 Oct 2002 at 15:24, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:10:54PM +0200, Markus Laire wrote:
> > If we are going to do math with ranges, we definitely need non-
> > discreet ranges also. Or at least make sure it's easy enough to
> > implement as a class.
> >
> > (1.9 .. 2.1) + (5..7) * (72.49 .. 72.51);
>
> I don't think that "non-discrete ranges" is what you mean.  Perhaps
> you just want ranges whose step size is something other than 1
>
>  (1.9 .. 2.1 : 0.1) + (5..7) * (72.49 .. 72.51 : 0.01)

That would also be usefull, but I definitely mean math with
non-discrete ranges. How else are you going to calculate with numbers
which have 'uncertainty-range' (not sure about right term) i.e. all
math in physics. There are bound to be other uses.

This should probably be a class, so only problem is then to be sure
that it's possible to create such a class and use it with easy
syntax.

Then there is a question of what such expressions should return.
A superposition of non-discrete anges encompassing all the possible
solutions would be the easy way. Adding probability distributions to
those ranges would also be usefull. Still this is an implementation
detail.

--
Markus Laire 'malaire' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>