At 4:21 PM -0400 5/28/04, Uri Guttman wrote:

  LT> Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >> this is another reason to drop seek/tell as separate ops and just add a
  >> seek offset as an arg to the i/o ops. tell is useless in the aio
  >> world. the user code needs to manage its own seek location and pass it
  >> into each call.

  LT> Well, yes that's true. OTOH we might want to support "traditional" IO
  LT> sequence of operations. The aio read and write calls have the file
  LT> positions as argument, sync read and writes don't have it. It could be
  LT> useful to support both flavors e.g. for libraries that are called from
  LT> different HLLs.

i am not against having a sync api but as dan said it should be a
wrapper around the async stuff. but as we agree (and dan hasn't acked
yet) the aio ops need a seek arg and the seek/tell ops should be dropped

Actually I don't agree, though I'll have to think about it. At the moment I'm leaning towards filehandles maintaining their own position rather than having user code track it.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk