  DS> At 4:21 PM -0400 5/28/04, Uri Guttman wrote:

  >> i am not against having a sync api but as dan said it should be a
  >> wrapper around the async stuff. but as we agree (and dan hasn't acked
  >> yet) the aio ops need a seek arg and the seek/tell ops should be dropped

  DS> Actually I don't agree, though I'll have to think about it. At the
  DS> moment I'm leaning towards filehandles maintaining their own position
  DS> rather than having user code track it.

but that doesn't work for parallel aio ops. a handle seek pointer makes
no sense in that env. for sync io ops, keep a seek value in the handle
but ignore that for aio ops.

and i meant for users who do aio, they have to track the seek locations
for each op. if you use sync ops, it should work the way they do now.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com