At 06:07 PM 9/1/00 +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
>Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >    is_equal (true if this thing is equal to the parameter thing)
> >    is_same (True if this thing is the same thing as the parameter thing)
>
>is_equal in what sense? (String, Number, ...)

I was thinking if you did:

   $a = $b;

then the equal method for $a would return true if passed $b to compare
with, regardless of the type.

Equality is a rather nebulous thing without context, though. Perhaps this
should get a context passed in as a parameter.

>and how is is_same different from just comparing addresses of the things?

We might have aliased variables or something, where two variable
pointers  which point to two different variable structures are actually the
same thing. Threads do this too in the current implementation. (And in the
pthreads interface, though neither are a great argument for it...)