"ye, wei" wrote:
> One C++ problem I just found out is memory management.  It seems
> that it's impossible to 'new' an object from an specified memory block.
> So it's impossible to put free'd objects in memory pool and re-allocate
> them next time.

Stuff like that isn't the problem with using C++. (In fact a class can
provide its own allocator. You can even provide a global allocator if
you like to live dangerously.)

The trouble is that the object model for C++ isn't exactly the object
model (I mean at the internals level like "SV") for Perl. That means we
still have to do a lot of work to get Perl to work right (and even more
work to defeat some C++ compiler assumptions to get Perl to work fast).

Another big problem with C++ is lack of internal documentation and
object code standards. Some of Perl's dynamic module loading capability
would be complex using C++ -- and possibly impossible with code built
by different compilers.

I think the general idea is that the advantages of C++ don't move us
far enough out of our comfortable local minimum to make it worthwhile.

- Ken