Simon --

> > I'm in M^3 (Major Marketing Mode) right now
>
> Using emacs doesn't necessarily help matters.

I'm a vi partisan myself. I'm intrigued by emacs, and I've even
tried it, but I just haven't been able to justify learning another
operating system when all I need is an editor :) Seriously, a lot
of my friends are emacsians, mostly the ones who are smarter than
me (MIT, particle physics, etc. types). I've got a lot of respect
for them (and that's why I gave emacs a try), but my fingers are just
about hard-wired to vi at this point.

> > I've been following the list, but I'm not clear on the status of
> > PerlIntArray PMCs. In/out, ready/hold-off?
>
> Waiting for 0.0.4.

Bummer. Given the state of the rest of Jako, I'm happy with its support
of integer, string and numeric variables using registers. So, the one
PMC thing I'm interested in right now is arrays. Until they come along,
I don't think I'll be investing any time updating it. I'm not even sure
yet how I'd want to handle multiple integer types in the language,
anyway. I suppose if I were doing real register allocation, I could
use the P* registers to increase the number of temporaries I can
handle by stashing I* and S* register values over there temporarily,
but the compiler still uses naiive register allocation.

I'm tempted to leave the testing of integer and string PMC stuff to
(a) the test suite; and (b) higher-level languages that don't want to
deal with the I* and S* registers. Then, when aggregate PMCs hit the
scene, I'll be interested in using them in Jako.

If you think I'm missing the point/boat in some way, by all means slide
me a clue. Well, you don't have to use *all* means; one really good
one will do...

Regards,

-- Gregor
/            Inspiration >> Innovation >> Excellence (TM)             \

   Gregor N. Purdy                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax