While I am generally in favor of this idea (and I did get the first
miniparrots to work, pretty much as proof of concept), I do think it's
likely to be rather challenging (and interesting):

Remember, _pure_ C89 provides only these headers:

    <assert.h>              <complex.h>             <ctype.h>
    <errno.h>               <fenv.h>                <float.h>
    <inttypes.h>            <iso646.h>              <limits.h>
    <locale.h>              <math.h>                <setjmp.h>
    <signal.h>              <stdarg.h>              <stdbool.h>
    <stddef.h>              <stdio.h>               <stdlib.h>
    <string.h>              <tgmath.h>              <time.h>
    <wchar.h>               <wctype.h>

This leaves out a number of things that one would really like to have
to do system probing, most notably:

   - file info (stat, fstat)
   - executing programs in any kind of sophisticated way (fork/exec, pipes)

My only real point is that, while I think pure c89 is a nice goal, in
practice we will need to relax this just a bit, to include at the very
least, things like unistd and bits of posix that are likely to be
everywhere.    Should be interesting.

Probably isn't going to really gain momentum until we get some of the
build system written in something that compiles down to run on parrot..
How's that perl 6 compiler coming? ;-)

--Josh