On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 17:40, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 02:40 am, Larry Wall wrote:
>
> > An interesting question would be whether we can bootstrap a Parrot
> > cross-compile database using autoconf's *data* without buying into the
> > shellism of autoconf.  Or give someone the tool to extract the data
> > from the autoconf database themselves, so we don't have to ship it.
>
> What autoconf database?  Autoconf uses probing for cross-compilation as well.

Well, that's one of the big problems with autoconf: it's NOT a database.
For example:

        # AC_FUNC_GETMNTENT
        # -----------------
        AN_FUNCTION([getmntent], [AC_FUNC_GETMNTENT])
        AC_DEFUN([AC_FUNC_GETMNTENT],
        [# getmntent is in -lsun on Irix 4, -lseq on Dynix/PTX, -lgen on Unixware.
        AC_CHECK_LIB(sun, getmntent, LIBS="-lsun $LIBS",
          [AC_CHECK_LIB(seq, getmntent, LIBS="-lseq $LIBS",
            [AC_CHECK_LIB(gen, getmntent, LIBS="-lgen $LIBS")])])
        AC_CHECK_FUNCS(getmntent)
        ])

There's knowledge encoded in that, but it's not abstracted sufficiently.
Some assumptions could be made, and autoconf's knowledge could be
distilled a bit and then extracted into the [cross-]compiling database
that would be needed by Parrot.

--
â 781-324-3772
â [EMAIL PROTECTED]