On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, James Keenan wrote:

> # New Ticket Created by  James Keenan
>

> Thanks to some automated test reporting setups (which I think are
> still coming from magnachef), we are getting a steady stream of test
> reports on the Smolder site from FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Of the
> three, the first two generally pass 100% of tests, but OpenBSD's
> performance has often been much poorer.  Of late, OpenBSD has been
> passing 99.95% of its tests, which is a clear improvement over just a
> month ago.  So I figured it would probably be good to put all the
> failures we're still getting on OpenBSD in one place to see if
> patterns emerge.
>
> I want to stress that I have neither experience with, nor access to,
> OpenBSD.  So I have no particular insight into these failures, nor
> can I directly test patches.
>
> As of today, there are 6 tests failing on OpenBSD, as reported on
> Smolder.

Nice job pulling out the relevant tests and figuring out what's going on!

> Observations:
> 1.  All 6 of these tests are marked to be skipped on Win32.  So
> perhaps the reason they're failing on OpenBSD is the same as that for
> Win32.  If so, then we could add 'OpenBSD' to the SKIP messages for
> each.

I have never liked that plan -- skipping tests simply because they fail
just hides the problem.  As a short-term step to keep from being
distracted, sure, it's a good strategy.  But such sort term "fixes" tend
to become very long-lived, leading folks to forget there even was a
problem.  If the failing tests themselves are the problem, they should
just be deleted.

> 2.  4 of the tests appear to fail depending on how the OS 'spells'
> the negation of zero.  Could we address this in a hints file?

This is a long-standing problem:  See [perl #28170] and [perl #30737]. The
last time I looked at this, the it seemed we should probably use
signbit(), if available.  (If it's not available, a fallback is needed,
but it's likely to usually be available.)  However, I don't know why
OpenBSD would differ from NetBSD in this regard.  Certainly the math.c
platform files are nearly identical.  Are the underlying machines and
perl5 configurations the same for the NetBSD and OpenBSD tests?  The
'myconfig' files from each configuration would be helpful in trying to
assess what's the same and what's different.

> 3.  1 of the tests appears to fail depending on how the OS initial-
> cases 'Inf'.  Again, could this be addressed in a hints file?

This too is a long-standing problem:  See [perl #19183].  It stalled
pending a decision on whether or not parrot should try to enforce a single
spelling of 'Inf' (and 'Nan', etc.) or whether the tests should patch over
the issue.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]