Jonathan> Isn't that the way perl4 did it?  I don't know what agony lwall and
Jonathan> friends went through that made them change this behaviour though.  It
Jonathan> would be good for someone who does to speak up about it.

It permits "action at a distance".  A program that originally
didn't have @stonehenge in

        print "email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

may someday later introduce a @stonehenge, and now this statement
means something completely different.

What would be NICE is to treat @stonehenge here as *always* a variable
(similar to the way scalars are treated), which was actually
implemented in one of the perl5 alphas, but changed to the current
behavior when it made too many programs print "merlyn.com" for the
above!

So, I'd support a modification to the RFC that does what Larry intended
here:

        array interpolation should work exactly like scalar interpolation