Peter Scott wrote:

> I have often wished that digraphs were not bundled with variables in this
> respect, i.e., I wanted to put a string containing \n inside single quotes
> just 'cuz it didn't contain variables to be interpolated.  Whether there's
> a way of improving this behavior or not I don't know.

We could invent

   qv/interpolate variables/
   qd/interpolate digraphs/
   qs/interpolate scalars/
   qa/interpolate arrays/
   qh/interpolate hashes/
   qr/intepolate ->/
   qx/replace with stdout of execution of string as command/

Then, define

   qvd/same as qq interpolate variables and digraphs/

   qvdsahr/interpolate everything/

One possible problem with this solution is that it potentially consumes quite
a few symbols that start with q.  Maybe it should be:

   q/interpolate variables/v
   q/interpolate digraphs/d
   q/interpolate scalars/s
   q/interpolate arrays/a
   q/interpolate hashes/h
   q/intepolate ->/r

   q/same as qq: interpolate variables and digraphs/vd

   q/interpolate everything/adhrsv

In that case, qq// and qx// should be translated to

   q/interpolate variables and digraphs/vd
   q/replace with stdout of execution of string as command/x

by p52p6, I suppose.

--
Glenn
=====