On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:06:24 -0700, Glenn Linderman wrote:

>However, let's look at it the other way.  How about instead of trying to _extend_
>single quote semantics, that instead we find a way of _disabling_ double quote
>semantics?  Let's say within double quotes that \D reverts to single-quote
>semantics with the extension that \E ends them again.

I think I like this better.

There frequently are threads on comp.lang.perl.misc on people that are
opposed to double quotes around strings that don't use any
interpolation, because "the double quotes are a warning flag that there
is something going on in this string" (paraphrased). And they tend to be
slightly disappointed if it turns out to be a false alarm.

Invert this: single quotes are a flag that "this string is safe".

And now, you're going to add a facility that destroys this safe image?
Please, let the programmer in his peace. Let the single quotish strings
remain safe.

OTOH, double quotish strings already *are* intrinsically unsafe. An
option to locally disable interpolation is no extra burden.

--
        Bart.