Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:
> =head1 ABSTRACT
>
> File tests (-r/-w/-x/...) made sense when Perl's shellness was an
> attribute.  Most new Perl programmers are not coming from a shell
> programming background, and the -X syntax is opaque and bizarre.
> It should be removed.
>                 is_readable(file) is really -r(file)

If you are proposing complete removal of -X tests (as the RFC title
suggests) then I think the syntax definately needs more discussion.
I liked Nathan's suggestion (quoted below) and I've listed why I
think it's the better syntax.

It:
 + stacks multiple tests quite cleanly without excess verbiage
   (if (-e && -T && -s && -x){...} gets a little tedious especially
   if you don't use $_)
 + introduces only 1 new keyword ("file" seems bad, but maybe not)
 + does not break the brains of the -X loving crowd (as much)
 + introduce long names for -X haters
   e.g. file($file, 'readable,writable,directory');

Nathan Wiger wrote:

>In fact, I'd much rather still a more generic function like 'want' that
>takes a list of things to check:
>
>   file($file);           # does it exist?
>   file($file, 'r');      # is it readable?
>   file($file, 'w');      # is it writable?
>   file($file, 'd');      # is it a directory?
>   file($file, 'wd');     # is it a writable directory?
>   file($file, 'dw');     # same thing
>
> Otherwise we run the risk of 200 builtins just to check file types and
> modes on all the different platforms....

Clayton