  NW> I think perhaps that Uri was suggesting more a common letter prefix,
  NW> such as:

  NW>   freadable($file);
  NW>   fwritable($file);
  NW>   fexecutable($file);

  NW> Than a piece of bastardized Pythonesque syntax. ;-)

basically correct. even a - as a prefix will be nicer and closer to the
original -X stuff. but that might conflict with the -rwx ideas (which i
am not fond of anyway).

        if ( -readable( $filename ) ) {

not the best. would that be confused with a sub readable and a leading
unary negation? in fact how does perl parse -r now vs - r()?

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting