  AT> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:13:41PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
  >>
  AT> But I wouldn't want that pragma to override any other aspect of the
  AT> core library, such as async I/O.

agreed. but we can reconcile the name spaces then. or let larry do
it. :)

  AT> That's a stone's throw awaty from:

  AT>   import english
  AT>   from english import filetest

  AT>   result = filetest.readable("/dev/null")

blecchh!

  AT> I think the common prefix idea is a nonstarter.  There must be a way
  AT> to coming up with sensible names for all of -X that don't conflict
  AT> with the core library.  Besides, AIO has a requirement on
  AT> 'sub Foo::readable()',  which means that main::readable is still
  AT> accessible and doesn't conflict.  No, that's not desirable, but AIO
  AT> behavior looks more malleable to me.

what about my idea for is_ or has_? actually that could be used for
callbacks as well. we need some semantic distance from the socket/handle
is readable right now (buffers have data) and the file can be read
if/when it is opened (you can test an open handle too IIRC).

  >> i have not seen an attempt to name all of
  >> the -X ops yet.

  AT> v2 fast approaching.  ;-)

awaiting with my whip so i can shred your names. :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting