At 01:23 AM 10/24/00 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   DS> Nope, that's not a win, because it can't happen. There needs to be
>   DS> an intermediate representation that can be run through an
>   DS> optimizer. The output of the optimizer could then be turned into
>   DS> TIL code or run through an IR->interpreter stuff translator. (Or
>   DS> Java bytecode, or .NET code, or whatever) Any way you go there's a
>   DS> compile phase.
>
>slight confusion here. i mean when you run a saved TIL perl program, it
>just runs as a binary and so there is no compile phase then.

Ah, that's something else entirely. Yeah, that is definitely a win for TILs
and other methods that compile to real executable code.

>   >> TIL code is executed directly and the script is now a
>   >> true binary. reverse compilation is still easy due to the template
>   >> nature of the generated code.
>
>   DS> Gack. No way. We will *not* use decompilation of machine language
>   DS> code as a way to spit out perl source. That's just evil and a
>   DS> waste--we're better off not throwing out the info on the source in
>   DS> the first place.
>
>no, i didn't mean it that way. i was think about those who ask for ways
>to distribute their perl code as a binary for 'security' reasons. this
>TIL code after distribution could easily be uncompiled for the usual
>suspect reasons. nothing was meant about using TIL code for anything but
>an end product meant to be execute only.

Ah. Well, I still think that the intermediate bits should be saved if at
all possible, but I don't much care if the resulting 'binary' (whether it's
a real executable, or Java bytecode, or grossly optimized perl bytecode) is
translatable back to perl source. If some transformation gets a performance
win but crocks back translation, well, that's too bad. :) Performance wins.
I'd rather folks not strip out the source-ish bits (they'll get sucky error
messages that way too) but if they do, well, they do.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk