  DS> At 08:33 PM 10/23/00 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
  >> as for ziggy's comments on the overload of builtins issue there could be
  >> a simple dispatch table used instead of direct calls. it would be fast
  >> with just an indexed lookup based on the op code id.

  DS> FWIW, this isn't all that fast. I tried it with perl 5, and saw a rather
  DS> significant performance hit. ~20% IIRC, but the numbers are in the p5p
  DS> archives somewhere.

not a good sign but we may need to take the hit to support overloading
any function and supporting TIL and threads. i think a %20 hit to get
those working cleanly might be a decent tradeoff. the TIL speedup over
pure interpretation might win that back and more. we have much
prototyping and testing to do. we have to design all the hooks in early
so we have a clean architecture and then we can implement TIL and other
backends (direct to c, etc.) with no major problems.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting