On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:14:20AM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> One of the features of perl 6 is going to be the ability to automatically
> use a module if one or more preregistered functions are used in your
> source.
>
> Would someone care to take a shot at formalizing the system? We need a way
> to register these functions, track the module version (if any) they're in,
> and stuff like that. (Including, I'm sure, things I've forgotten)

Have a look at AnyLoader in CPAN.

NAME
       AnyLoader - Automagically loads modules for fully
       qualified functions

SYNOPSIS
         use AnyLoader;

         Carp::croak("This is going to hurt the Perl community more than it ".
                     "is going to hurt you!");

Its not quite what you're talking about (yet) but we can extend it to
flesh out the idea of automagical autoloading.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Communism is the antichrist, which promised to bring peace and equality to