Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:42:23AM +0000, David Grove wrote:
 > > Apocalypse is a greek word meaning that which comes out from (apo- eq
 > away
 > > from) hiding, i.e., revelation. In the biblical sense, it refers to
 > > revealing that which was previously unseen or unheard, hidden behind
 > > veil of worlds or time, as John used it.
 >
 > Urgh. I'm not letting that go without a pedant point. :) apokalupsis is
the
 > ordinary NT Greek word for revealing or uncovering.[1] John only uses
it
 > the
 > once, in the title of his book.

Okay, so I have a flair for the melodramatic[1].

You already knew that. ;-)

Kalupsw IIRC is to hide something (the koine phrase that comes to mind is
"hiding the light under the basket"). Apokalupsw is to bring it out of
hiding. What struck me as interesting though was that Larry was referring
to something that apparently was alredy there, between the lines, and just
needed clarification. (Revealing and creating are different things.) I
know that's a bit isogetical, but it works for me.

It's a bit like Michelangelo's statement that he didn't carve his statues,
he just freed them from the rock they were embedded in.

[1] Strongs is pure Koine. I'd think Larry would be more of the Ionic
type. <g>