On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:32:29PM -0400, John L. Allen wrote:
> I think someone may have mentioned this already, but why not just say
> that if you want '.' to mean concatenation, you have to surround it on
> either side with white space?  If there's no white space around it, then
> it is forced to mean method invokation, or whatever else.

This approaches "whitespace as syntax".  Very few Perl operators care
about whitespace between their words (even ->) or whitespace at all.

More generally, its going to cause alot of careful squinting at code
to distinguish between different operators.  This will lead to subtle
bugs because someone accidentally put a space after the . and didn't
notice.

Its just cutting it too thin.  Don't go this route unless others are
exhausted first.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One

IRQ dropout