> At the moment I like "like" the best, actually...

"like" is beautiful for old-style regex matching, but I find it
confusing for the new smart abilities:

$var    like Class:Foo     # $var is instance of Class:Foo
$item   like %hash         # %hash{$item} is true
$digit  like (0..10)       # $digit is in 0..10 range
@array1 like @array2       # array intersection
$num    like &f            # f($num) is true

All this ones fit more with the concept of "mystical analogy" hinted
by =~ than with the plain similarity that one would expect from
"like"

Oh, and =~ looks much more intimidating, which is good, given its..
err.. power.

-angel