Ken Fox wrote:

I know I'm just another sample point in a sea of samples, but
my embedded symbol parser seems optimized for alphabetic symbols.
The cool non-alphabetic Unicode symbols are beautiful to look at,
but they don't help me read or write faster.
Once again: we're only talking about « and ».

There are rare exceptions (like grouping)
E.g. « and »

;-)

where I strongly prefer non-alphabetics,
but otherwise alphabetics help me get past the "what is this code?"
phase and into the "what does this code do?" phase as quickly as
possible.
Interestingly, I find it just the opposite. The use of symbolic
operators makes it easier for me to differentiate the "nouns",
"verbs", and "punctuation" of a piece of code.

Damian